Wedding Bride & Groom


Eastern North Carolina Weddings - The Details

Onslow County has many locations for a wedding venue or place to pop the question! Such as:

The New River Waterfront Park, the gazebo at Wilson Bay Park, Onslow Beach, North Topsail Gazebo, Swansboro’s Hammocks Beach State Park and Bear Island, Swansboro’s Centennial Park or any of the town/city/county parks in Onslow County.

If you’d like additional information, please contact Onslow County Tourism at 910-347-3141 ext. 222.

For a detailed list of businesses ready to help you achieve your dream wedding, please visit the Jacksonville Onslow Chamber of Commerce online at

Getting Married in North Carolina General Info:

  • First, head to any Register of Deeds' Office to get a marriage license. In the state of North Carolina, it does not matter which county you get the marriage license from (meaning you don’t have to get the license in the same county you plan on getting married in). The license is $60 and after it has been signed, must be returned to the county you purchased it in.
  • The legal age for marriage in North Carolina is 18 years old. Anyone 16 or 17 years of age must bring their parents with them to apply for a marriage license, as their signature is required on the application. Anyone age 14 or 15 must obtain a court order to be allowed to marry in North Carolina. No one under the age of 14 can legally marry in the state.
  • Both parties must show proof of age in North Carolina with a valid driver’s license, military or state identification, passport or birth certificate.
  • The license is valid for sixty days after purchase.
  • All counties do require that both parties be present to apply for the marriage license unless there is a circumstance that does not allow for one of the party to be in attendance–an example being stationed overseas or hospitalization. If that is the case, the Register of Deeds will require a notarized affidavit of absence to be submitted.
  • Also need to show proof of Social Security number with either a Social Security Card, W-2 form, payroll stub, or any official document with your Social Security number on it.
  • You don’t have to live in North Carolina to be married in North Carolina.
  • There are no blood tests required to be married in North Carolina.
  • You can marry your cousin as long as you aren’t closer than first cousins (double first cousins). Example: Tommy marries Callie and Callie’s sister marries Tommy’s brother. Both have children. These children cannot marry each other.
  • There must be at least two adult consenting witnesses at the nuptials.
  • The license must be turned in to the courthouse you originally purchased it from no later than 10 days after it has been signed.
  • In North Carolina there are no justices of the peace.

Please keep in mind:


When getting married on the beach in Eastern North Carolina, please keep in mind the tides. We’d hate to have any of our guests set up for their wedding early in the day and come back only to find everything swept away! For information on times of tides, please visit


Hurricane Season

Hurricane season on the Atlantic coast officially runs from June 1st through November 30th, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Hurricanes affect southeastern North Carolina most frequently between late August and mid to late September.


Laws and Regulations Regarding Getting Married on the Beach:

Onslow County:

  • No permits are required to get married on the beach.
  • As long as you’re not on private property (in front of a hotel or business) then you are fine to get married.

Onslow County Register of Deeds Office is located at 109 Old Bridge Street, Jacksonville, NC 28540; 910-347-3451 or you can visit them online at


Surf City:

If the wedding is held within the town limits of Surf City a permit is not required, but it's a good idea to check with the Parks & Recreation Department at 910-328-4887 to see if anything else will be happening at the location that you want to use. Also, make sure the Police Department (910-328-7711) is aware of the event. The wedding party and guests should be aware that cars must be parked completely off all paved streets, bike paths and sidewalks and walking on or disturbing the dunes is not allowed.

If you are going to have a band or DJ, you must get a noise permit from town hall.


North Topsail:

There are no permits required to get married on North Topsail Beach. As long as you leave the beach the way you found the beach, you are good to go!

If you would like to reserve the gazebo or picnic shelter please contact Kim Weaver at 910-328-1349.


Onslow Beach

Onslow Beach is available for weddings. No permit is required to use this beach. However, to use Onslow Beach for your event requires a sponsor in either the form of a government employee or military personnel.

Marston Pavilion is also available for use for the reception. To use Marston Pavilion, a sponsor is also required. Marston can and will cater the reception with either a standard catering menu, available online at, or they will work with you to customize your menu. Marston will also cater at different venues should you choose to keep the reception at the beach, or hold it elsewhere on base.